[Ngoại ngữ] Father's Day

bluesea88

[♣]Thành Viên CLB
Father's Day.

The idea for creating a day for children to honor their fathers began in Spokane, Washington. A woman by the name of Sonora Smart Dodd thought of the idea for Father's Day while listening to a Mother's Day sermon in 1909.
Having been raised by her father, William Jackson Smart, after her mother died, Sonora wanted her father to know how special he was to her. It was her father that made all the parental sacrifices and was, in the eyes of his daughter, a courageous, selfless, and loving man. Sonora's father was born in June, so she chose to hold the first Father's Day celebration in Spokane, Washington on the 19th of June, 1910.
In 1926, a National Father's Day Committee was formed in New York City. Father's Day was recognized by a Joint Resolution of Congress in 1956. In 1972, President Richard Nixon established a permanent national observance of Father's Day to be held on the third Sunday of June. So Father's Day was born in memory and gratitude by a daughter who thought that her father and all good fathers should be honored with a special day just like we honor our mothers on Mother's Day.

What Makes A Dad

God took the strength of a mountain,
The majesty of a tree,
The warmth of a summer sun,
The calm of a quiet sea,
The generous soul of nature,
The comforting arm of night,
The wisdom of the ages,
The power of the eagle's flight,
The joy of a morning in spring,
The faith of a mustard seed,
The patience of eternity,
The depth of a family need,
Then God combined these qualities,
When there was nothing more to add,
He knew His masterpiece was complete,
And so, He called it ... Dad

Questions for Discussion:
Tell me about your father. How much do you love him? And Have you ever said " Dad, I love you"?

Last edited by a moderator:

peti_xinhxan

Thanh viên kỳ cựu
My daddy, Bư Bư( It's a lovely nikname, I called), has given me a lot of advice. He taught me to give it my all whether it's in school, religion, or life itself. My daddy is the best dad ever! He is so goofy and always makes me smile ear to ear.
My daddy is always there for me and lifts my spirits. He continually manages to keep family before work. He is always sitting on the bleachers cheering me on and will tell me I am doing great, even if I am just sitting on the bench. He is always at the finish line waiting for me to get done. I know once I get to the finish line you will be there cheering and ready to give me a huge hug.
Daddy, I just want you to know you mean the WORLD to me. I am lucky to have such a wonderful dad.

Happy Father's Day to my Grandpa and of course to you, too, Daddy, my Bư Bư.

Love you so much.

peti_xinhxan

Thanh viên kỳ cựu
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Do You wonder "Have You ever done this action???"?
[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Every Father's Day you get your dad the same thing, a tie, a pair of socks or another tool. Have you ever taken the time to thank him for all his wisdom and life lessons he's passed on to you over the years?[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Take a moment and thank Dad for:[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1] • Those annoying phrases you've caught yourself using with your kids.
• Teaching you the importance of quiet time during Monday night football.
• Uncovering the little known fact that there is no need for a laundry hamper, the floor will do just fine.
• Proving that grunting and mumbling are acceptable forms of communication, no matter what your mother says.
• Using your first car (he purchased for $350) to teach you humility.
• Teaching you the importance of a fine beer. It should be savored and appreciated as a work of art.
• Encouraging your own ingenuity by throwing away the instructions while saying, "we don't need these".
• Illustrating the true meaning of pride, or lack of, by parading around in his boxers in front of your friends.
• Offering a brilliant rebuttal to the whole toilet seat issue. "It's easier to put the seat down than lift it up, you have gravity working with you."
• Explaining the importance of planning for the future by never throwing away anything that, "might come in handy one day".
• Teaching you the only tools you really need are duct tape and a Swiss Army knife.
• Explaining why camping and fishing trips are considered "real vacations".
• Giving you the confidence to never have to ask for directions- you always know where you are going.
• Showing you how to be adventurous and try the shortcut.
• How to do all the laundry in one load and allow more time for football.[/SIZE][/FONT]

bluesea88

[♣]Thành Viên CLB
I love my father.

My father is a farmer, he was also a carpenter, a building worker and a teacher. To bring up my family, beside farming, he built house for villagers. After a hard day, he taught my siblings maths ,literature and even English. He was my first English teacher. He was my tutor in literature when I was at primary school. He has done everything for his children can go to school. He love us so much. He is a wonderful father. I feel lucky to be his son. I’m proud of him.:dacy:
Hard to say “ Dad, I love you” with a boy. If I do this action, my father will say “ are you crazy?”. But with a girl, I think she can do that. It will be great.:dangyeu:

p/s: If you see my mistakes, please correct its. Thank you so much!

summerrain

Thanh viên kỳ cựu
My father is a farmer, he was also a carpenter, a building worker and a teacher. To bring up my family, beside farming, he built house for villagers. After a hard day, he taught my siblings maths ,literature and even English. He was my first English teacher. He was my tutor in literature when I was at primary school. He has done everything for his children can go to school. He love us so much. He is a wonderful father. I feel lucky to be his son. I’m proud of him.:dacy:
Hard to say “ Dad, I love you” with a boy. If I do this action, my father will say “ are you crazy?”. But with a girl, I think she can do that. It will be great.:dangyeu:

p/s: If you see my mistakes, please correct its. Thank you so much!

1. Whydid u use different tense in this sentence ?
2. loves
3. For me,
" It's hard for me to say " Dad, I love you". He will say " are u crazy" when I say that. But, there's nothing wrong with girls. That's a great thing. Hic, it's not fair. Any way, I want to say :Dad, I love you so much!"
hihi

Tin Yêu

Thanh viên kỳ cựu
When I look at your eye, I see your dream.
When I see your face, I feel your love
When I talk with you, I know how you stay strong
When I sleep, you're waiting and hoping.
When I go, you're companion
When I write this message, you're still be there... waiting for me

It's not easy to say "Father, I love you". I'll do the best for our family.
Send you this song "Father and son".

[YOUTUBE]CpZD80bfDyo[/YOUTUBE]

bluesea88

[♣]Thành Viên CLB
1. Why did u use different tense in this sentence ?
2. loves
3. For me,
" It's hard for me to say " Dad, I love you". He will say " are u crazy" when I say that. But, there's nothing wrong with girls. That's a great thing. Hic, it's not fair. Any way, I want to say :Dad, I love you so much!"
hihi
Thank you for your comment.
1. I use simple present because he is a farmer up to now. But he used to be a carpenter, and a teacher, but now he isn't. I don't know: "can we use two tenses in a sentence". Is it ok?
2. Loves-> I see -> Thank you!!!
3. I think you can give your father a tight hug. He will feel your love.

summerrain

Thanh viên kỳ cựu
I decided to write something about this topic after much thought. Why? As, I was deprived of my father while still in my mother's womb. I've never once met him. I've never once been cared for...I don't know what it feels like being loved by a father...I don't know...really don't know. All about him which I just heard from my mother, my uncle, or others who knew about my father. I've just seen him in the picture. Maybe, I don't know exactly what was he like. My father just in my mind. But, I heard much about him. He was very kind, sometimes, when talking about him, a little tear from my uncle's eyes...and he told me, " Your father was always loved by everyone". Sometimes, my mother told about their love story, I'm really happy to listen. And, I just pictured about him...not clearly but I know I have a great father.
When I was child, I was never envy my friends as their father's loving. I was not upset and never asked my mother about him. I don't remember the reason why, in that time, I just knew, my father was died. I grew up in my mother's loving. My mother said, I was good baby, always simle as a angle...it make her lost a bit of grief.
I've never been cared by him but I know he always stands by me. He gives me belief. And, especially, I know that, my father is great man!

P.s If there is topic about mother, I will tell you about my wonderful mother. hihi.
To help me correct, plz. Thank all!

---------- Post added at 01:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 PM ----------

Thank you for your comment.
1. I use simple present because he is a farmer up to now. But he used to be a carpenter, and a teacher, but now he isn't. I don't know: "can we use two tenses in a sentence". Is it ok?
2. Loves-> I see -> Thank you!!!
3. I think you can give your father a tight hug. He will feel your love.

I think it's not Ok, U can say : he used to be a carpenter...it's clearly and grammatical.
3. I try to express ur idea in different way. hihi

bluesea88

[♣]Thành Viên CLB
@summerrain: I think your father was a wonderful Dad. I can see that inside you. If your father was still alive, he would proud of you.

Bình luận bằng Facebook